When you light your Candleman candle for the first time, we suggest, particularly for our smaller candles, you leave it to burn for at least an hour. For our larger vessels, we’d suggest burning for an extra 30 minutes or so. This will give your candles a chance for the hot pool of wax to reach the sides of the container, therefore setting its memory for your next burn. Without this, your’ll experience ‘tunnelling’, where the wax will continue melting towards the centre of the candle, with getting the full optimum burn and fragrance it deserves.
If you do have to extingish your candle on its first burn before the hot pool of wax reaches the sides and it’s started to ‘tunnel’, don’t worry. Here’s a little tip on what to do but under supervision at all times:
Without lighting the candle, carefully wrap a sheet of aluminium foil, about twice the height of your candle container, around the side of the container and gather the excess at the top into a cone shape. It should resemble the shape of an oast house. This will then will produce more heat within the foil and melting the residual wax which has hardened around the side of you container. Lift the foil off the candle and light it, immediately and carefully replacing the foil ‘chimney’. Keep your eye on the candle, ensuring it’s not left unattended for an hour. Wearing some protective gloves, remove the very HOT foil from your candle and dispose of it accordingly. Your candle should of now have reset itself and you can extinguish the candle, leaving the wax to set again. Once cooled, snip off the excess wick to about 5mm from the wax, ready for you to enjoy your candle once more.
Once your candle has been extinguished and the wax has set, with wick trimmers snip of your used burnt wick to about 5mm from the wax. This will then give you a cleaner burn and minimise soot the next time you use your candle.
To ensure continued fragrance, we’d always recommend flipping your reed sticks over to re-fresh the fragrance. Do this over a sink in case of any little spillages. Once you’ve flipped your reed sticks over, remove any spills from your sink and wash your hands immediately.
Never leave a burning candle unattended. Never burn a candle more than 4 hours. Lit candles should be kept out of reach of children and pets.
Do not burn candles or place reeds on or near anything flammable. Do not drink any liquid from the reed bottles.
Do not place candles in a draught. Always snuff a candle out rather than blowing on it. Always place your products on a flat stable surface.